Saturday, September 01, 2007

The 80s Happened There - Blue Zoo


I remember an article back in the 80s that mulled over the question of why the UK had so many pop bands, and why they were so good at producing 7" confections. It seems the dole - unemployment - and the huge amount of teens-to-early-twenties on it, with little else to do but learn instruments and pursue the dream of being a pop star, was the answer. Blue Zoo was one of these bands, and looking back at their videos, boy were they GAY.

In the video for the single "Cry Boy Cry," the lead singer, Andy O, looks like Jake Shears a little bit, doesn't he? And how gay is this video with the band members molesting him, all boyish and shirtless? Hmmm.

I have a lot of UK pop band vinyl, and thanks to ol' YouTube, the videos are out there for all to see, and for me to send you to via this blog.

Now... back to the pressing matter of the day. How retarded is this video, and how high should it rank?

L

7 comments:

eLf ideas said...

As for me, I never look at the past without retrospection. I always regard them in the context of the times when they were conceived. I just wonder if, in case you were there in the '80s and admiring bands like Blue Zoo, you would have said the same "gay" comment about them.

Following your logic, then all if not most of the New Wave bands that emerged in the '80s were "gay" simply because they donned a fashion style that may be seen as "gay" in the current times.

But, of course, I think otherwise. Like Robert Smith of The Cure. His style these days remains virtually the same as during the '80s heydays, yet I never consider it "gay."

Anonymous said...

hi im the bass guitarists. michael ansells daughter.. i just thought i should let you know that none of them are gay. infact they all lead lives which made them all very successful.

Miranda Gavin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miranda Gavin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miranda Gavin said...

Ohhhhh, think the best thing is to check out the official Blue Zoo 'blog'
http://bluez00.wordpress.com

The video for Cry Boy Cry was directed by Tim Pope (The cure, Banshees, Talk Talk and the film The Crow)

The blog has all the videos.

Beat Slot Machines said...

It is possible to fill a blank?

Anonymous said...

Heya! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does building a well-established website such as yours require a large amount of work?
I'm completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary on a daily basis.

I'd like to start a blo so I can easily share my own experience and feelings online.

Please let me know iff you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners.
Thankyou!

my web sie :: thai-m88.com